The Kingdom of Sydra - Era of Revolution

The Search Continues

Good Aligned - Adventure 3

Time passes oddly in the Shadowfel; its speeds up and slows down with no predictable pattern. Prince Giaus Sydra was slightly worried that he hadn’t heard from the group of young nobles he sent to look for his sister. He contracted out a group of adventurers to find out the fate of the first group. Among the adventures sent forth were Pericles, a Human fighter, Fiona, an elven thief, and Frenix a Tiefling wizard. They were able to easily find the path the previous party had taken and found the demolished gatehouse. Searching through the rubble they found only one survivor: Slate a Goliath barbarian.

After digging Slate out from the rubble, the recent death of the battle attracted two black oozes. They nimbly glided over and through the rubble and circled around the party. Hacking at the oozes proved to be less effective than the group hoped, each time it just split off into smaller parts which were still a threat to the party. Eventually the group was able to split the oozes into small enough pieces that Frenix could finish them all off with his magic.

After the oozes were dealt with, the party decided to summon up the demon which had stood in their way before to try to get information out of it. Frenix constructed a magic circle on the spot the demon was slain and called forth. The demon appeared, trapped in the circle. It wasn’t hostile and was willing to strike a bargain with the group- it would provide all of the information they wanted as long as one of them gave their soul to the demon. Finding this unacceptable the group bargained with the demon and finally settled on a payment. The group would deliver a package for the demon to the city of Valhin. The party found out the demon had made a contract with a woman called Iseri to prevent anyone from following her. Also Iseri was not alone and traveled in the company of a large man and another woman. Frenix then accepted the package of the demon and ended the summoning ritual.

The trail ahead of them was still clear and showed that the same group of three people headed north along the Blue River. While the river in the material is a large river teaming with life and movement, the Shadowfel version was an empty crevice as still and quiet as the rest of the plane. The trail went to the city of Stone’s Crossing. All around the city the group could see that a fervent battle was going on. Shadow forms resembling that of both Nith and Sydra soldiers fought and died only to reform to continue the battle. Off to the east there was a large crashed vehicle of some kind. It looked like some sort of floating platform which laid burning and destroyed. The main feature of it was a very large cannon, bigger than any cannon the adventurers had ever seen.

The group took the time to debate whether they should return to the material plane and warn the people about what they had seen or to continue on their mission to find the Princess. They decided it would be best to finish their mission and to send word back to Prince Giaus when they had the opportunity. The tracks lead north-east out of the city for a ways before disappearing completely. They managed to figure out that the border between the material plane and Shadowfel were weak at the point the tracks stopped, so they opened a portal back and found themselves in a clearing in the woods south of Aliers. The tracks here became less obvious, but it seemed to indicated that Iseri was headed to the city. The journey through the woods and foothills was uneventful. The adventurers began their ascent through the mountain pass till they reached the gates of Aliers.

Entry into the city of Aliers required the party to relinquish their weapons and implements. The adventurers then made their way to the city hall to inquire about other travelers who had recently come into the city. After consulting the log of visitors, it turned out that Iseri was still in the city. There were only a couple of inns within the city so they were the logical place to investigate. They common room was filled mostly with the usual types, but one group stood out amongst the crowd- a group of Nith soldiers. A few questions with the innkeeper, along with a few threats of violence, revealed that Iseri was staying at this inn, but was out in the city conducting business.

Sneaking into the room rented out by Iseri, the adventurers found signs that ritual magic had been performed. The floor around one of the two beds was inscribed with blackened runes and the faint smell of sulfur still hung in the air. Frenix was able to determine that some sort of mind control magic had been used. Stashed away in one of the closets was the Princess’ wedding gown. With both of these pieces of information the young nobles returned to the city hall to talk with the local guard about arresting Iseri for the kidnapping of the Princess. The town guard agreed and sounded a city wide alarm.

A small battle ensued. Through a bit of trickery and help from the Nith soldiers Iseri managed to slip away once again into the Shadowfel. She left behind a changeling who was mimicing the Princess’ appearance to slow down the adventurers. The players found out that Iseri had a deal with Nith soldiers to exchange schematics to design a large arcane bomb for some artifact that had brought from Old Gereb. Needing to rest and inform the Prince of all that they had found out, the group elected to rest before pursuing Iseri once again.



I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.